Monday, January 26, 2009

cleaning style-day 4

First just letting everyone know that we took Haiden to "Walking with Dinosaurs" -she loved it! I was so scared Chris just wasted money that was non-refundable. But she just talked about it all weekend. We wanted to do something with her and give her some one on one attention. It seems like since Schafer was born she not only gained a little brother...which is a huge change, but her and our whole way we did life changed. No play groups or going to church. Hardly ever seeing family and friends...just very isolated. It has to be hard on her too, I really have tried to be sensitive to her needs but it is hard. And now we are months away from lighting up even more-can't wait!!!! And she is doing fine everyone...she is a little card.

now on to our cleaning...:( I slacked on the mission statement yall...have not done that.

Let's be honest, we are probably not going to become Martha Stewart. That's okay.
"O LORD, You have searched me and known me...You...are intimately acquainted with all my ways...For You formed my inward parts You wove me in my mother's womb..." Psalm 139:1,3,13
God formed our personalities and He knows how we work and how we don't. He knows where we struggle and where we excel. If you are not a naturally "neat and organized" type A personality, just accept it, and live out of who you are. I used to beat myself up all the time, "if only I were like so and so, I would be such a better wife, homemaker, mother..." These are thoughts from the enemy! We do have a responsibility to our families and the domains God gave us, and must lay down our flesh minute by minute, by the grace of God, and do our best. However, let's not get trapped by perfection, comparison's, or any other distractions that steal away the truth that God loves us and we are a work in progress!
With this said, I want you to think about your personality style, and what works for you. Maybe you love the idea of having a schedule and you are great at writing one out, but when it comes to actually following it, well, let's just say, not so much! Perhaps, for the time being, you need to not be scheduled, but instead focus on getting certain things accomplished by a certain time in the day. For example, I want to challenge you to clean your kitchen every morning (I know, this is counter to the
flylady, but I don't want to clean my kitchen at night!) but maybe mornings are better spent hanging out with your kiddos and just gathering yourself for the day. So for you, you might say, "I will have my kitchen cleaned by noon." That's a realistic goal that doesn't put you in a box...there is freedom in flexibility.
My number one rule is: DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP! I don't care how many times you "fail," don't quit, press on, and know who you are. Figure out your cleaning style, and go with it, not trying to be anybody else. Work hard, get what you need to get done, confess laziness, and accept God's grace. Oh, and know that you are not alone - that's why we're here, to encourage you on!
Now, let's get started on today's "cleaning," shall we?
Today's Challenge:
The living room. Ah yes, the place where many family memories are made, a place to carve out peace and comfort, a place to invite guests to relax and "make yourself at home," a place where love treads. Let's work on it today. Do this:
Vacuum/mop behind the couches (you never know what goodies you may find!)
Dust what needs dusting
Vacuum/mop the floors
Get rid of any clutter (just get rid of it already! Let it go...)
Straighten up (knowing that, if you have kids, this will last two minutes - just accept it!)
While you're working and dropping beads of sweat, thank God that you have a home to take care of.

1 comment:

Lisa Laxton said...

You are too funny. I really appreaciate the encouragement! I have to go put my groceries away now. Keep up the great work! hugs!